Thursday, March 15, 2012

My bumpy neck.

I want to say a huge thank you to all my sweet friends and family who have been so caring and supportive this week as I heal. You are wonderful and every prayer, small care and thoughtful word was
noticed. 


Most of you know by now that I had surgery this week to remove part of my thyroid. I am usually pretty quiet about my health issues to people around me so some of my friends were a little surprised they didn't know before hand. I hate being the center of attention so I didn't want to make a big issue out of this. I've been dealing with some pretty significant health issues since around age 25 when I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis which is a variant of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

When you have a type of disease that is mostly hidden from outside views it sometimes is helpful for me to feel like a normal person when I am treated just like everyone else. It's also easier sometimes to just not have to explain it all. The question was usually "where do you have your arthritis?" Well, pick any joint (or connective tissue) in the body and you would be correct. Then some feel it their duty to tell me what their cousin's aunts sister-in-law did to cure it. I know you mean well and want to help but I am married to a physician who takes good care of me and I have done my own extensive research too.

I have always tried to not let my arthritis get in the way of what I want to do in my life. Occasionally I have needed help and have stubbornly learned to ask for that help when I need it. My children have grown up knowing they had to help mom reaching for something in a low cupboard or helping when I was too tired to do it all. Over the years they learned that sometimes I have "bad" days when I just hurt all over and they understood. I think this made them all very compassionate people.

The last couple of years I have had a few more health issues pop up which has stressed my energy to keep up lately. I have been very thankful for the ability to see some great people here in WV and get the treatment that I needed. One of my issues was a good size nodule on my under active thyroid.

You can kind of see the bump
Here it is in orange.













As we started to look at it, each test would come back needing another test to see what was going on. With each test we were getting pushed closer to a possible cancerous tumor.  So, about a month ago Dr. White (fabulous dr!) felt that it was 50/50 and the only way we could now tell for sure was to shine some light on it. Literally. I can't think of a much worse thing you can do to someone is let them know it's a 50/50 possibility that they have cancer, but we'll wait a month to let you know for sure! Talk about throwing your world for spin.

Day 1 with tubes

I just got the phone call from Dr. White. He's so awesome! Calls me directly and truly cares, even though I know he's crazy busy! The formal pathology report just came back and it all looks good. No cancer. Yay!


First look under the bandages


Day 3 of healing


I am healing up just fine. It feels really nice to be rid of the drain tube and extra bandaging! My energy level is low but my incision doesn't really hurt me that bad and the best thing is that I no longer have that "what if" cloud over my head. I counted my stitches and I counted 19 little black ones on the outside but there are more on the inside too that I can't count. It is a pretty awesome looking "Frankenstein" neck right now!

So, thank you to all my friends. I will indeed take you up on your offers for help should I need them, and would love to return the favor soon as I am able. Special thank you to D.Z. for the ride and the food. The bread is yummy. C.M. for making David's favorite dinner. How did you know? and L.F. for the visit. You were following your inspiration to drop in and you are a great example to all of someone who acts on those little thoughts. And also thanks to C.P. for her sweet support. 

I'll be back to my normal self (whatever that is)  soon enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am complete stranger here but I would like to comment since the subject matter relates to my field of interest
The odds of having cancer in your case were NOT 50/50 but 1 to 4
I have an allergy to the glue as well.
To minimize a scar appearance try Mederma cream (unless you are allergic to it )
Best and thanks for the pictures!
One patient called her nodule “madam’s apple”

Shelli and David said...

Prof, I appreciate the feed back. It seems my case was a bit unusual in the initial findings thus my ENT on questioning him gave me his opinion. Thyroid cancer in most cases is also very treatable. Thanks for the tip. I have some scar treatment waiting. :)